SYRIA DIRECT is a Syrian-led, independent media organization that started in 2013 after the outbreak of the Syrian conflict. We foster transparency and accountability through investigative reporting, amidst rising media repression in Syria and neighboring countries. Through reporting on conflict trends, human rights abuses, environmental issues, and more, we aim to contribute to a just future for Syria by informing Syrians and policymakers alike. Fiercely committed to the tenets of professional journalism, we produce timely, fact-based coverage of Syria and the Syrian diaspora in Arabic and English. We also provide training and consulting services to equip the next generation of Syrian journalists.
The Finance & Admin Coordinator is responsible for managing all of Syria Direct’s financial operations, as well as for developing finance and procurement policies (75%). The candidate is also expected to assist with other Admin-related functions as needed (25%). The Finance & Admin Coordinator will work in close collaboration with the Programs Manager, as well as the Managing Director. For interested candidates, please submit your CV and responses to the questions below via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the position title in the subject line. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until Sunday, November 20, 2022. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews, for an expected start-date early December.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities (75%):
- Tracks and documents expenditures by project, and compiles financial reporting for donors.
- Prepares and issues payments by verifying documentation, such as invoices.
- Supports with budget development for new projects and budget modifications for existing projects as needed.
- Maintains finance and accounting controls by preparing and recommending revisions to existing policies and procedures.
- Undertakes quarterly and annual audits.
- Oversees procurement and tendering processes for goods and services.
- Supports with annual tax returns for Syria Direct and employees as needed.
- Prepares asset, liability, and capital account entries by compiling and analyzing account information.
- Documents financial transactions by entering account information using QuickBooks.
- Recommends financial actions by analyzing accounting options.
- Summarizes current financial status by collecting information; preparing balance sheet, profit and loss statement, and other reports.
- Substantiates financial transactions by auditing documents.
- Reconciles financial discrepancies by collecting and analyzing account information.
- Secures financial information by completing database backups.
- Follows legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation.
- Prepares special financial reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing account information.
- Prepares salaries and other payments, ensures proper payment methods are followed and files the cash payment paper.
Secondary Duties and Responsibilities (25%):
- Support with narrative reporting for donors, including periodic and final reports.
- Contribute to concept notes, proposals, and other aspects of business development.
- Support with other Admin-related tasks as needed.
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics, or related field.
- At least 1-2 years of relevant professional experience.
- Professional proficiency in spoken and written English; proficiency in Arabic preferred but not required.
- Prior experience working with nonprofits, including familiarity with EU and/or US donor financial regulations, preferred but not required.
- Experience using accounting softwares and other relevant programs.
- Keen attention to detail and organizational skills, especially bookkeeping skills.
- Ability to navigate a fast-paced work environment and meet short deadlines.
- Team player with a readiness to assist other team members when needed.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and multicultural skills.
- Ideally located in Germany or France, with flexibility to relocate to one of Syria Direct’s office locations if needed.
Syria Direct is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by law.
- What educational qualifications and professional experiences make you suitable for this position? Do you have any experience managing finance operations for NGOs?
- Based on your experience, what are the most important aspects (or gaps) of financial management within small organizations? What are some best practices or tools used to mitigate finance-related issues?
- What would you bring to Syria Direct both personally and professionally? How do you expect Syria Direct to further your professional development?