3 min read  | Homs, Politics, Reports

Rebels: Waer truce talks suspended


June 9, 2014

June 9, 2014

By Osama Abu Zeid and Elizabeth Parker-Magyar

Negotiations between rebels and the regime in the encircled Homs district of al-Waer, the last remaining opposition-held neighborhood of Homs, have been suspended, even as both sides advance proposals to lift the regime blockade on the neighborhood.

“Negotiations with the regime are currently suspended after the [rebel] proposal was submitted to the regime and rejected,” Hassan Abu al-Zein, a spokesperson for the al-Waer Operations Room, negotiating on behalf of the rebels, told Syria Direct on Monday.

al_waer.pngAl-Waer, the last rebel-held district in Homs. Photo courtesy of Wikimapia.

“The regime put forth a second proposal that would be executed this month, but an agreement has not been reached,” he added.

On Monday, the al-Waer Operations Room, a group of coordinated rebel battalions, published a “working paper” detailing rebel demands for a settlement.

The proposed settlement is comprised of eight demands, including a surrender of rebel weapons, a release of female prisoners held by the regime, an amnesty for those wanted by the regime, the opening of all roads into al-Waer and the return of displaced families into regime-controlled Old Homs, with guarantees of their safety. 

“An Iranian mediator” has opened an office in a nearby neighborhood, to “deal with any breach of an agreement,” the group said in its statement, a claim that could not be independently verified.

Homs Governor Talal al-Barazi, who acts as a de facto regime spokesperson in Homs, denied reports that negotiation between the two sides had broken down, in comments to pro-government newspaper al-Watan Sunday.

We are optimistic [a settlement will be reached], as long as the atmosphere of calm is preserved,” al-Barazi said.

But on Sunday, a “heavy exchange of fire” broke the ceasefire in the district, as pro-opposition media blamed “regime troops positioned on the outskirts of the district.”

Reports are conflicting about how long a ceasefire had held in al-Waer, ranging from two days to two weeks.

In May, the Syrian government reached a wide-ranging agreement with rebel troops to surrender the 13 rebel-held neighborhoods of Old Homs, encircled by Syrian forces for nearly two years, in exchange for safe passage to the northern rebel-held suburb of Dar al-Kabira.

Following the truce, the Syrian government turned its attention to al-Waer, beginning an intense shelling campaign on the district as al-Barazi cited hopes for a similar truce in the neighborhood.

After the surrender of Old Homs in early May, al-Waer, home to at least tens of thousands of internally displaced Syrians, is the last remaining rebel-held district in Homs, Syria’s third largest city.

Government troops surrounded the neighborhood on October 10, 2013, blocking all supply routes of food, medicine and ammunition until last month.

For more from Syria Direct, like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter.

More Latest…