SYRIA DIRECT is a Syrian-led, independent media organization that started in 2013 after the outbreak of the Syrian conflict. We foster transparency and accountability through investigative reporting, amidst rising media repression in Syria and neighboring countries. Through reporting on conflict trends, human rights abuses, environmental issues, and more, we aim to contribute to a just future for Syria by informing Syrians and policymakers alike. Fiercely committed to the tenets of professional journalism, we produce timely, fact-based coverage of Syria and the Syrian diaspora in Arabic and English. We also provide training and consulting services to equip the next generation of Syrian journalists.
Syria Direct is actively recruiting a Social Media & Multimedia Officer to manage social media platforms (50%) and multimedia production (50%). Social media management will involve website publishing and boosting under the direction of the Social Media Strategist. Multimedia production will include data visualization to accompany reports and publications in close coordination with the Editorial Team. For interested candidates, please submit your Letter of Motivation and your CV via email to email@example.com. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until Sunday, October 2, 2022. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews, for an expected start-date mid-October.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Assist in the planning and implementation of Syria Direct’s communications strategy.
- Publish daily material on Syria Direct’s website in English and Arabic using WordPress backend, with proper use of SEO-friendly keywords, headings, and descriptions.
- Publish daily material on Syria Direct’s social media platforms in English and Arabic, including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Youtube, and Soundcloud.
- Manage developed paid promotion plans on social media and suggest necessary changes.
- Update and implement a flexible social media content calendar in a fast-paced journalistic environment.
- Use Google Analytics to track article performance on Syria Direct’s website, and create quick boosts for underperforming material.
- Plan and execute social media campaigns in text and multimedia formats to promote Syria Direct’s content.
- Manage Syria Direct’s media database and maintain a media exposure archive for donor reporting purposes, such as audience analysis reports.
- Develop multimedia content for editorial deliverables including infographics, maps, figures, and other data visualization.
- Assist the Editorial Team with the production of stand-alone multimedia content, such as podcasts, videos, and other deliverables.
- Carry out other social media and multimedia related duties as needed.
- An undergraduate degree in communications, journalism, multimedia, or other relevant field
- A minimum of 2-4 years of relevant experience managing social media networks (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn)
- A minimum of 2-4 years of relevant experience with multimedia and data visualization.
- Computer literacy in MS Office and website management
- Experience with Canva, Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and Premiere required.
- Graphic design, photo and video editing skills required.
- High attention to detail and ability to multitask and prioritize tasks.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Must possess organizational, problem-solving, and time management skills.
- Able to work under pressure and meet short deadlines.
- Demonstrated English & Arabic language writing and editing skills.
- Prior knowledge of the Syrian social media space and/or experience working on Syria highly desired.
- Legally allowed to work in Germany or France, with flexibility to relocate to one of Syria Direct’s office locations if needed.
Syria Direct is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by law.