SYRIA DIRECT is a Syrian-led, independent media organization that started in 2013 after the outbreak of the Syrian conflict. We foster transparency and accountability through investigative reporting, amidst rising media repression in Syria and neighboring countries. Through reporting on conflict trends, human rights abuses, environmental issues, and more, we aim to contribute to a just future for Syria by informing Syrians and policymakers alike. Fiercely committed to the tenets of professional journalism, we produce timely, fact-based coverage of Syria and the Syrian diaspora in Arabic and English. We also provide training and consulting services to equip the next generation of Syrian journalists.
The Housing, Land and Property (HLP) Legal Expert is responsible for reviewing all publications to ensure accuracy surrounding laws and their application in (a) regime-controlled areas, (b) opposition-controlled areas and/or (c) SDF-controlled areas. The HLP Legal Expert will work in close collaboration with the Senior Editors. For interested candidates, please submit your CV, daily rate (in EUR), and responses to the questions below (in English or Arabic) via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the position title in the subject line. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until Sunday, November 20, 2022. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an expected start-date early December.
- Review thematic reports, in-depth investigations, and podcast scripts for legal accuracy.
- Provide background on the history of HLP violations and other information as needed.
- Advise on HLP-related framing for publications as needed.
- Meet short deadlines and respond to weekly requests in a timely manner.
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in law or related field.
- At least 3-4 years of relevant professional experience.
- Demonstrated expertise on HLP laws and violations across Syria’s different areas of control.
- Proficiency in Arabic required, proficiency in English preferred.
- Previous experience working with media and/or research organizations, including basic knowledge of the principles of journalism, desired but not required.
Syria Direct is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by law.
QUESTIONS (TO SUBMIT WITH APPLICATION)
- What prior experience do you have working on HLP-related issues related to each of the following: (a) regime-controlled areas, (b) opposition-controlled areas, (c) SDF-controlled areas?
- Are there significant differences in HLP-related laws or violations across these areas, or do they tend to be similar?
- Based on your prior experience, what would you identify as the most significant HLP violations (i.e. laws and decrees) currently? Which HLP issues do you see as major risks for the future?
For the Arabic version of this posting, click here.